- Discuss Racialization of LaAm and Racial categories in LaAm vs. US (through a Loteria Castas game, discussion and presentation)
- What are you considered in your family? (Blanquito/a Negrito/a) What nicknames are given to you or what stereotypes are shared? Where do we learn this from? Do you get treated differently.
- Presentation of Racial Categories in the US Vs Latin America:
- Castas-When World’s Collide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7gJZREDf8&spfreload=5
- Black in Latin America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYeaIN6MZ4Q
- Modern US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob-qmfvnQVo
- Review assignment: Youth share 5 pictures of the first of their ancestors) to migrate to Chicago. Names of the towns they came from in LaAm and the years in which they migrated.
- Mixed Media Memes “Create a snapshot of your family”: Construct some kind of creative way to present these facts to the rest of the group (collage, story, Memes, video, paint, etc)
- Presentations from Emanuel Garcia about how and why he decided to begin a podcast with his abuelita.
- Race, Ethnicity vs Nationality –often used interchangeably
- Race as being “Socially Constructed” VS Biological
- Exploration of the Castas system and ways these racial hierarchies show up in our families thinking about race and class in Latinx families
- Latinos as “race” vs. “ethnicity”
Weekly Assignments: Bring a sketch of a family tree for next week’s’ session: starting from you go as far up the Family Tree Branches as you can, bring in names, birth/death dates, names of countries, and who was the first ancestor to migrate to the United States.